1904 Wood Engraving Orsanmichele Guild Church Florence Italy Joseph XGWA4
This is an original 1904 black and white in-text wood engraving of an illustration by Joseph Pennell of the Orsanmichele, the church of the guilds in Florence, Tuscany, Italy.
This 107+ year old Item is rated Near Mint / Very Fine. No creases. No natural defects.No surface rub.No tears. No water damage. Please note: There is printing on the verso.
- Product Type: Original In-Text Wood Engraving; Black / White
- Grade: Near Mint / Very Fine
- Dimensions: Approximately 4 x 5 inches; 10 x 13 cm
- Authentication: Serial-Numbered Certificate of Authenticity w/ Full Provenance
- Protection: Packaged in a custom archival sleeve with an acid-free black board (great for display, gift-giving, and preservation)
See the sights of Tuscany (Toscana) through the eyes of the American artist, Joseph Pennell, in this collection of prints from 1904. Explore the churches, the piazzas, the architecture, and landscape of this region of Italy known for its history, artistic works, and traditions. Considered the birthplace of the Renaissance, the Tuscan region produced such greats as Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Giovanni Boccaccio, and Dante.
This piece was illustrated by Pennell, Joseph.
Joseph Pennell (July 4, 1857 Ð April 23, 1926) Pennell was an American artist and author. He was born in Philadelphia where he studied until graduation and then went to Europe and made his home in London. He produced many books, but was well known for his etching and illustration talents. He taught at the Slade School of Art, but did work for America throughout his career; most notably a poster for the fourth Liberty Loans campaign where Lady Liberty and New York were in flames and under attack.