$21.98 USD $43.95 USD
This 118+ year old Item is rated Very Fine +++. Light aging throughout. Light creasing. No natural defects. No tears. No water damage. There is some light bleed through visible on this ad.
In 1815, Casparus van Houten opened his first chocolate factory in Amsterdam. At the time, the sweets-making process included pounding cocoa beans into a fine powder; however, due to the high fat content, the chocolate was difficult to digest.
By 1828, van Houten had discovered a method for pressing the fat from roasted cocoa beans. This hydraulic press reduced the cocoa butter content by almost half, thus, providing a digestible base that would be utilized in future companies' chocolate products.
Sometime later, van HoutenÕs son, Coenraad Johannes van Houten, invented the ÒDutch Process,Ó which consisted of adding alkaline salts to the cocoa powder in order to remove the bitter taste, as well as make the product more water-soluble. By 1850, Coenraad moved his production from the windmill plant in Leiden to a more modern factory in Weesp, Holland. Soon, he began exporting his chocolate to France, Germany and England. Sometime later, the company exported its products to the United States, which later received permission to set up its own Van Houten manufacturing factories. The main factories were located at 106 Reade Street in New York and at 45 Wabash Street in Chicago.
In 1962, the Van Houten company was purchased by W. R. Grace, and in 1971, the Weesp factories closed.
Casparus van HoutenÕs Amsterdam windmill factory had to be turned by a body of laborers in order to generate enough power to manufacture the companyÕs sweets.
Copyright 2016, Period Paper LLC
Keywords specific to this image: Antique Advertising