$23.95 USD $43.95 USD
This is an original 1894 halftone print of the U. S. exhibit of lighthouses and signal buoys which was located in the Treasury Department alcove of the Government Building at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. The exhibit featured a model of the lighthouse built on the Spectacle Reef in Lake Huron, plus models of a gas buoy and a whistling buoy. (Please note that, typical of halftone prints, there is printing on the reverse.)
Period Paper has obtained a wonderful set of halftone print images of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, also known as the World Columbian Exposition. This collection of the fair's many architectural, artistic, mechanical, agricultural, industrial, archeological, ethnological, historical, and scenic attractions was published as an Educational Art Series in 1894 by N. D. Thompson Publishing Co. of St. Louis.
The World Columbian Exposition was held from May to October 1893 in Chicago in honor of the 400th anniversary of Columbus' discovery of the new world. In competition with many other cities, Chicago was finally designated the official site and the Exposition was built on 630 acres in and around Jackson Park. It was a spectacular display of progress and prosperity, and included among its many wonders electrical exhibits, exhibits from other countries, and a popular amusement area on Midway Plaisance with carnival rides, among them the first Ferris Wheel. Most of the fair's architecture was based on classical design which gave the area around the Court of Honor the name "The White City."
This 117+ year old Item is rated Very Fine. No creases. No tears. Light water stain - top left corner.