This is an original 1893 halftone print of the south end of the California Building at the 1893 Chicago Worlds Fair. On the left is the orange globe erected by Los Angeles County and covered with six thousand five hundred oranges. The central object is Ventura County's Bean Pagoda, which was invented by Captain N. Blackstock, a leading attorney of Ventura. The architect was George C. Powers, and F. A. Foster arranged the beans. (Please note that, typical of halftone prints, there is printing on the reverse.)
Period Paper has obtained a wonderful set of halftone prints of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, also known as the World Columbian Exposition. This original collection of the fair's many architectural, artistic, mechanical, agricultural, industrial, archeological, ethnological, historical, and scenic attractions was printed in 1893.
The World Columbian Exposition was held from May to October 1893 in Chicago in honor of the 400th anniversary of Columbus' discovery of the new world. In competition with many other cities, Chicago was finally designated the official site and the Exposition was built on 630 acres in and around Jackson Park. It was a spectacular display of progress and prosperity, and included among its many wonders electrical exhibits, exhibits from other countries, and a popular amusement area on Midway Plaisance with carnival rides, among them the first Ferris Wheel. Most of the fair's architecture was based on classical design which gave the area around the Court of Honor the name "The White City."
This 118+ year old Item is rated Very Fine ++. No creases. No tears. No water damage.