1895 Ad Remington Typewriter Wyckoff Seamans Benedict - ORIGINAL ADVERTISING OD2

047175_OD2_018

This is an original 1895 black and white print ad for the Remington Typewriter Number 6, sold here by Wyckoff, Seamans, and Benedict, 169 La Salle Street, Chicago. Wyckoff, Seamans, and Benedict purchased the typewriter business from Remington in 1886 and formed the Remington Standard Typewriter Company in 1892. Each edition of the typewriter that was released was noted for improved speed of typing.

CONDITION

This 116+ year old Item is rated Very Fine. No creases. No natural defects. No surface rub. No tears. No water damage. In this ad there is heavy aging and foxing throughout.

  • Product Type: Original Print Ad; Black & White / Grayscale
  • Grade: Very Fine
  • Dimensions: Approximately 2.25 x 4.25 inches; 6 x 11 cm
  • Authentication: Serial-Numbered Certificate of Authenticity w/ Full Provenance
  • Protection: Packaged in a custom archival sleeve with an acid-free black board (great for display, gift-giving, and preservation)

Remington.

The Remington Arms Company was founded by Eliphalet Remington in Ilion, New York in 1816. Originally, the company was called E. Remington and Sons. The Remington Company is the only U. S. based company that produces firearms and ammunition nationally, and is the largest United States producer of rifles and shotguns. The Remington Arms Company is also the oldest continuously operating manufacturer in North America. The company supplies to over 60 countries, which makes its customer base vaster than any of its rivals. Remington Firearms has also surpassed all of the ammunition and firearm manufacturers in the world with its amount of developed or adopted gun cartridges.

During the Mexican-American War, Remington supplied the United States Navy with its first breech-loading rifle, as well as supplied rifles to the United States Army.

In 1856, Remington expanded its production to include farming equipment, though between the years of 1867 and 1900, the company remained the largest firearm manufacturers in the world arms trade. Around 1870, the company decided to further expanded and began manufacturing sewing machines and typewriters. In 1876, the sewing machines and typewriters were featured at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. In 1878, RemingtonÕs Model Number 2 typewriter was the first to include upper and lower case letters through the use of a shift key, which, consequently, led to the QWERTY keyboard layout. In 1886, the company sold its typewriter business to the Standard Typewriter Manufacturing Company. In 1902, the Standard Typewriter Manufacturing Company changed its name to the Remington Typewriter Company, and thus, the machine continued to be manufactured under the name ÒRemington.Ó

During World War I, the Remington Arms Company received firearm production contracts by several Allied powers. In particular, the company manufactured the M1907-15 Berthier rifle for France, the Pattern 1914 Enfield rifle for Britain and the Model 1891 Mosin-Nagant rifle for the Russian Empire. Once the United States entered the war in 1917, the company manufactured its M1917 Enfield rifle. During this time, the Remington Arms Company also developed the Pedersen Device for the M1903 Springfield rifle, which allowed the gun to shoot a .30 Caliber intermediate cartridge in semi-automatic mode, as well as fire in conventional bolt-action mode for long-range attack from the trenches. Today, Pederson Devices are very rare and have proved extraordinarily popular among collectors.

During the latter years of the war, the Russian Empire collapsed, which proved severely problematic for the Remington Arms Company, as the foreign government had ordered large quantities of firearms and ammunition, but lacked the appropriate funds to obtain their orders. Fortunately, the United States government was able to absorb the debt and bail Remington out of impending bankruptcy. Because of RemingtonÕs uncertainty in the future demand for military firearms and ammunition, the company decided, as a means to stability, to broaden and promote their line of sporting goods, including hunting firearms and ammunition, as well as such popular items as its bicycles.

During the Great Depression, the DuPont Corporation bought Remington. Shortly thereafter, Remington purchased the Peters Cartridge Company. Today, a number of Remington headstamps still bear the R-P mark for Remington-Peters.

During World War II, Remington produced the renowned M1903A3 Springfield bolt-action rifle for the United States Government.

In 1962, the company began manufacturing the Model 700 bolt-action sniper rifle, which soon became one of RemingtonÕs best selling firearms. The military M24 SWS was the United States ArmyÕs standard sniper rifle from 1988 until 2010, and continues to be a popular choice among militaries around the world, including the Israel Defense Forces or IDF. The Remington 700PSS (later known as the 700P) is often used by police and law enforcement agencies.

Interesting Fact:

Remington rifles are featured in the Guatemala flag and national emblem.

Copyright 2016, Period Paper LLC

Keywords specific to this image: Antique Advertising

OD2A12B5C95