1896 Print 1893 Chicago World's Fair Fine Arts Building Main Entrance Front FAI7
This is an original 1896 large-format black and white halftone print of the front and main entrance to the Fine Arts Building at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Designed by architect C. B. Atwood, it is the one building from the Fair which still stands in place. After the Fair, until 1920, the building housed the Field Columbian Museum (now the relocated Field Museum of Natural History). In 1931 the building reopened as the Museum of Science and Industry.
This 118+ year old Item is rated Near Mint / Very Fine. No creases. No natural defects. No surface rub. No tears. No water damage. The white areas in the right margin are only reflections on our digital image --they DO NOT appear on the item. Please note: There is printing on the verso.
- Product Type: Original Halftone Print; Black / White
- Grade: Near Mint / Very Fine
- Dimensions: Approximately 14.25 x 11 inches; 36 x 28 cm
- Authentication: Serial-Numbered Certificate of Authenticity w/ Full Provenance
- Protection: Packaged in a custom archival sleeve with an acid-free black board (great for display, gift-giving, and preservation)
The World's Columbian Exposition was held from May to October 1893 in Chicago in honor of the 400th anniversary of Columbus' discovery of the new world. In competition with many other cities, Chicago was finally designated the official site and the Exposition was built on 630 acres in and around Jackson Park. It was a spectacular display of progress and prosperity, and included among its many wonders electrical exhibits, exhibits from other countries, and a popular amusement area on the Midway Plaisance with carnival rides, among them the first Ferris Wheel. Most of the fair's architecture was based on classical design which gave the area around the Court of Honor the name "The White City."