This 112+ year old Item is rated Near Mint / Very Fine+. Moderate wrinkling. No natural defects. Some moderate surface rub. No tears.
Whitman's Chocolates. The chocolatier and confectionary of WhitmanÕs Chocolates has been in existence since 1842, when an ambitious 19-year old Stephen F. Whitman first opened his candy shop in Philadelphia. European sailors and their wives, who frequently brought chocolate delicacies with them overseas, inspired Whitman to create similar confections that resembled the fine sweets of Europe. However, just prior to the onset of the U. S. Civil War, Whitman began utilizing the latest popular advertising medium of newspapers to further promote his delicacies. By 1866, WhitmanÕs confections exploded in popularity and he was forced to expand his business, thus, occupying the entirety of the building on 12th and Market Streets in Philadelphia. By 1912, the company was the first among its kind to utilize cellophane in its packaging in efforts to preserve maximum freshness among the candies. Today, WhitmanÕs Chocolates remains one of AmericaÕs longest running and most popular confectionaries, though it is now owned by Russell Stover.
During the early 1940s, WhitmanÕs Pickaninny Peppermints were dropped from its product line after Thurgood Marshall strongly urged Whitman to change the name of the popular candies as it resounded with great racial insensitivity. Despite WhitmanÕs efforts to keep the candyÕs name, claiming it meant Òcute colored kid,Ó the product was finally removed from the companyÕs products.
During World War II, the female employees of WhitmanÕs began hiding love letters and notes of encouragement in the boxes of chocolates being sent to the American Armed Forces serving overseas. The thoughtful and inspiring mementoes resulted in everlasting bonds and even some marriages!
Copyright 2016, Period Paper LLC
Keywords specific to this image: Antique Advertising