1903 Print Turner Pilot Hail Smack Storm Sailboat England Atlantic Ocean XAV9
The original artwork for this print was created by Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851) who was an English Romantic landscape painter, printmaker, and watercolorist. His artwork is regarded by some to be the Romantic precursor to the artistic movement known as Impressionism. He was nicknamed "the painter of light."
This 108+ year old Item is rated Near Mint / Very Fine. Light aging throughout. Small wrinkle - center. Minor print defect - center left. No surface rub. No tears. No water damage. Please note: There is printing on the verso.
- Product Type: Original Halftone Print; Black / White
- Grade: Near Mint / Very Fine
- Dimensions: Approximately 9 x 7.5 inches; 23 x 19 cm
- Authentication: Serial-Numbered Certificate of Authenticity w/ Full Provenance
- Protection: Packaged in a custom archival sleeve with an acid-free black board (great for display, gift-giving, and preservation)
This piece was illustrated by Turner, Joseph Mallord William. There is no visible artist signature.
Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851)
Joseph Turner was British artist who become renowned for his landscape painting. A true master, he brought landscapes into a realm of painting previously under-appreciated. Proficient in both oil and watercolor, he blended Romanticism with a style of painting similar to Impressionism, although pre-dating it. Although he never married, he did carry on a relationship with an older widow for many years. Unfortunately, despite the vibrance and chromatic appearance of many of his pieces, he did suffer from depression after the death of his father in 1829.
Keywords specific to this image: Romanticism, Great Britain, Sea