1918 Ad Quaker Oats Wartime Food Rationing Prince Meade - ORIGINAL TIN3
This 93+ year old Item is rated Very Fine +++. Light aging throughout. Light creasing. No natural defects. Some light surface rub. No tears. No water damage. There is some light bleed through on this ad.
- Product Type: Original Print Ad; Black / White
- Grade: Very Fine +++
- Dimensions: Approximately 4.75 x 10.25 inches; 12 x 26 cm
- Authentication: Serial-Numbered Certificate of Authenticity w/ Full Provenance
- Protection: Packaged in a custom archival sleeve with an acid-free black board (great for display, gift-giving, and preservation)
In 1901, Quaker Oats came into existence after the merging of four oat mills, which included Henry Parson CrowellÕs Quaker Mill Company in Ravenna, Ohio, John Stuart, Robert Stuart and George DouglasÕs cereal mill in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Ferdinand SchumacherÕs The German Mills American Oatmeal Company in Akron, Ohio and The Rob Lewis & Company American Oats and Barley Oatmeal Corporation.
In 1902, Quaker Oatmeal boxes included coupons, which could be redeemed for legal deeds to tiny lots, usually only ten feet by ten feet, in Milford, Connecticut. The group of ÒOatmeal LotsÓ was known as Liberty Park. Since the lots were so small the landowners paid practically nothing in property taxes. By the mid-1970s, the town, upset with the abundance of paper work the tiny lots had generated, as well as the inconsequential influx of property taxes able to be collected, decided to foreclose on the property. Presently, the Bic Corporation plant resides on the land.
In 1955, Quaker Oats once again used the land giveaway promotion, this one associated with the American television show ÒSergeant Preston of the Yukon.Ó The promotional deeds that included land plots in Klondike, Canada, were offered in Quaker Oats Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice cereal.
Copyright 2016, Period Paper LLC
This piece was illustrated by Prince, William Meade. Artist signature in print - embedded in image.
William Meade Prince
William Meade Prince grew up in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He reportedly could not choose between West Point, or architecture at Georgia Institute of Technology, so he settled it by going North to study art at the New York School of Fine and Applied Arts. Later, Prince returned to Chapel Hill where he built his own studio and stables and continued to do illustration. He was particularly noted for his Dodge Brothers car ads. For several years, Prince also taught illustration and figure drawing at the University of North Carolina and was head of the Art Department there from 1943-1946.
Keywords specific to this image: WWI, War Efforts, War Aid Vintage Advertising