1928 Ad Campbell's Vegetable Soup Dinner Meal Red White Label Diet NGM3
This 83+ year old Item is rated Very Fine +++. Light aging throughout. No creases. No natural defects. No surface rub. No tears. No water damage.
- Product Type: Original Print Ad; Black / White
- Grade: Very Fine +++
- Dimensions: Approximately 6.5 x 9.5 inches; 17 x 24 cm
- Authentication: Serial-Numbered Certificate of Authenticity w/ Full Provenance
- Protection: Packaged in a custom archival sleeve with an acid-free black board (great for display, gift-giving, and preservation)
Campbell's Soup Company.
The CampbellÕs Soup Company was founded in 1869 by fruit merchant, Joseph Campbell, and an ice box manufacturer, Abraham Anderson, in Camden, New Jersey. The company originally began selling minced meat, jellies, condiments, soups, and a more recent development of the time, canned vegetables, which were sold from the back of a horse-drawn wagon.
In 1876, the company won a medal for their soupÕs quality at the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Months later, Campbell purchased AndersonÕs shares and founded Joseph Campbell & Company with his new partner, Arthur Dorrance.
The first campaigning for the company began in 1895, which featured various billboards and signs in the cities of St. Louis, New York City, and Philadelphia. Two years later, in 1897, the company began moving to exclusively selling soup. The Campbell Kids characters were introduced by John Dorrance in 1904 and were designed by artist Grace Wiederseim. These cheerful little characters quickly became an advertising iconÐÐone of the earliest in advertising history.
In 1915, Arthur Dorrance, after purchasing his uncleÕs shares, drastically increased magazine advertising as the companyÕs owner. Dorrance demanded that CampbellÕs advertisements must be the very first ad in the publication. It had to appear on the right side, and it needed to be facing a full page of text. Today, this position has been nicknamed Òthe CampbellÕs Soup position.Ó
The Red and White Label
According to legend, the red and white label became introduced to the company after an executive named Herberton Williams attended a football game between the University of Pennsylvania and Cornell in 1898. Williams was so enthralled by CornellÕs red and white uniforms, that he came back to work and persuaded the company to adopt the same colors for their soup cans.
The gold medal was not added to the label until 1900, when CampbellÕs soup won an award at the Paris Exposition. Since, the can has become a well-known label, revamped by cultural icon, Andy Warhol, and recognizable by most Americans.
Copyright 2016, Period Paper LLC
Keywords specific to this image: Vintage Advertising