1931 Halftone Print William Taft Bridge Washington D.C. Cityscape Rock NGM4

147353_NGM4_354

This is an original 1931 black and white halftone print of the William Howard Taft bridge in Washington, D. C. This classical revival style bridge was originally erected between 1897 and 1907, under the direction of engineer George S. Morison and architect Edward Pearce Casey. The total length of the bridge exceeds 900 feet. Today, it is known as the largest unreinforced concrete structure in the world, and in 2003, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally, the bridge was named the Connecticut Avenue Bridge, but, in 1931, its name was changed in honor of United States President William Howard Taft, as the president used to take daily walks down the bridge from his nearby residence. The bridge extends over Rock Creek and connects the neighborhoods of Woodley Park and Kalorama. Photography courtesy of Captain Albert W. Stevens.

CONDITION

This 80+ year old Item is rated Near Mint / Very Fine+. Light aging throughout. Light creasing. No natural defects.Some light surface rub. No tears. No water damage. Please note: There is printing on the verso.

  • Product Type: Original Halftone Print; Black / White
  • Grade: Near Mint / Very Fine+
  • Dimensions: Approximately 8.5 x 5.5 inches; 22 x 14 cm
  • Authentication: Serial-Numbered Certificate of Authenticity w/ Full Provenance
  • Protection: Packaged in a custom archival sleeve with an acid-free black board (great for display, gift-giving, and preservation)

Reproductive art by Stevens, Albert W. .

Keywords specific to this image: Historic Landmarks, Cityscape

NGM4A11C31