1944 Print Albert Murray Art WWII Religious Service Jewish Protestant AAF1

118874_AAF1_037

This is an original 1944 World War II halftone print of "The Chapel," where a Jewish chaplain opened the new chapel at Guantanamo Bay. He was followed by Catholic and Protestant chaplains.

A native of Emporia, Kansas, Lieutenant Albert K. Murray, received his art education at the College of Fine Arts at Syracuse University in New York City, as well as the National Gallery in London, among other international art training institutes. In 1942, Murray joined the United States Navy and was stationed at the Naval base Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Later, he was transferred to the Office of Public Relations in Washington, D. C. Thereafter, he was commissioned to depict naval activities and scenes for the Art and Poster Section for Public Relations. Murray was assigned to paint the portraits of the NavyÕs General Board, as well as complete charcoal and oil artworks of the men of the U. S. S. BOISE. Later, he painted PC boats on convoy duty, the construction of military bases and naval drydocks, as well as other wartime scenes.

CONDITION

This 67+ year old Item is rated Near Mint / Very Fine+. Light aging throughout. No creases. No natural defects. No surface rub. No tears. No water damage. Please note that there is print on the reverse.

  • Product Type: Original Halftone Print; Black / White
  • Grade: Near Mint / Very Fine+
  • Dimensions: Approximately 9.25 x 6.25 inches; 23 x 16 cm
  • Authentication: Serial-Numbered Certificate of Authenticity w/ Full Provenance
  • Protection: Packaged in a custom archival sleeve with an acid-free black board (great for display, gift-giving, and preservation)

This piece was illustrated by Murray, Albert K.. Artist signature in print - bottom right of image.

Keywords specific to this image: Religion, Temple, Church, Cathedral, Judaism, Catholicism, Leisure War Scenes

AAF1C44 zz5954